Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017-18 Season, 2 keys, and 1 step up in each phase of the game
For me, the keys to success for the offense are:

1. For the OL to come together as a cohesive group. Attacking as a unit in the running game, and having each other's back in protecting Andy from what is sure to be a blitz-a-thon all season long.

2. For Andy and the plethora of weapons that the team has amassed to gain confidence and continuity with one another, ASAP.

Who needs to step up? Jake Fisher, Cedric Ogbuehi is more than likely going to need plenty of help to protect Andy's blind side, which might mean the RB looks to block Left first, more strong Left formations, etc. Fisher may be the one who has to step up and prove that he can survive on an island.

On defense:

1. For the front seven to incorporate all the new faces (Billings, Lawson, Willis, Minter) into pass rush packages where the opposing offenses can't be sure who is coming, and who's sitting back. I really like the idea of using more odd front looks, with more stunting and twists. Burfict and Minter in the middle in odd front scenarios should be more than capable of containing the run.

2. For the secondary to get off to a fast start this year. Last year, the secondary really seemed to struggle, with the coaching transition from Vance Joseph to Kevin Coyle. As the season progressed, their play improved dramatically. This year there is no major coaching transitions to adjust to. No reason for the secondary not to be in full attack mode, from day one.

Who needs to step up? Vontaze Burfict. That's right, 'Taze needs to step up, into the role of captain of the defense. With long time locker room leaders Peko and Maualuga now down the road, Vontaze needs to fill that role.

Special teams:

1, Kicker don't blow it..

2. Coverage like a storm cloud. Allow no long returns. One of the Bengals trademarks in recent years is to win the field position battle. Need to keep that tradition alive.

Who needs to step up? Huber. A major part of winning those field position battles is having high, booming punts. Huber needs to regain the form that made him such a valuable asset to the team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2017-18 Season, 2 keys, and 1 step up in each phase of the game - SunsetBengal - 06-07-2017, 11:17 AM