Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Comey's opening statement is out.
(06-09-2017, 10:46 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The rule of law says he can direct investigations, so maybe he does understand it.  Congress pass laws to limit his powers?  Someone doesn't understand the rule of law.

So, I'm not sitting here and saying that Trump is guilty of obstruction, I am merely discussing a hypothetical situation. So before anyone's knickers get in a twist, I just want to put that out there.

Yes, the POTUS has the discretion to direct investigations. But, this does not mean that the POTUS is exempt from the idea of obstruction of justice in doing so. Were a POTUS to have an investigation ended, or even impede one in any way, and Congress felt something was off about it, they could bring proceedings forward for impeachment based on obstruction of justice. The idea of justice being served is above the office of the POTUS, so if Congress feels that the POTUS obstructed justice with their actions, even if they are powers of the executive, then Congress can rightfully impeach on those grounds.

I know this isn't the greatest comparison, but we grant police powers to officers. If they use their authority incorrectly then there is a check to that process. They may be allowed to do something in a broad sense, but abuse of that power is still illegal and there are mechanisms in place to handle that situation. Those mechanisms exist all the way through our government, from the part-time greeter at your local town office all the way to Congress, POTUS, and SCOTUS. They have broad authority, but if it is abused it can still be deemed illegal by another branch and they can be punished for it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Comey's opening statement is out. - Belsnickel - 06-09-2017, 11:18 AM