Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Carson Palmer 1 SB Win from HoF?
(06-13-2017, 09:59 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Possibly, I don't think we'll ever truly know. Carson did come out and say a couple years ago that he and management "disagreed" over the direction the team should go. I remember reports at the end of 2010 where Carson told Jerome Simpson to get ready to "tear it up" next season. This was before the infamous press conference where Mike extended Marvin Lewis' contract after his second 4 win season in three years. Not even a week later reports came out that Carson demanded a trade... 

But then again, Carson got very cynical in his weekly press conferences throughout that season. Before the thanksgiving game at the Jets, Carson pompously said "this game is on thanksgiving because of the jets, not the Bengals." In another instance, when Carson was asked if he could see himself playing on another team next season, he said "oh yeah" with a smirk. He very well could have been done with Cincy before the midpoint of the season. 

So really, who knows? But as lifelong fans of Mike Brown's Bengals, can any of us truly blame Carson for wanting out?  

I think the short of it is that after 2010 Marvin Lewis was the first to make public that Mike Brown needed to make changes or he was going to leave Cincy and coach elsewhere.  Carson wasn't public about anything of that nature, which is why his demand for a trade seemed like a knee-jerk slap in the face.

It seemed like Marvin and Carson approached Mike as a unified force demanding some changes.  Mike Brown doesn't budge and Marvin gives in and stays (perhaps because Mike offered him some extra control, perhaps because he wasn't getting the job offers he expected).  This puts Carson in the position where he is working for the same stubborn owner, but now he had the added "bonus" of a HC who flipped on their agreement to stand their ground and demand change.

Again, this is just pieced-together speculation because the only person in this triad who has a reason to speak ill of the Bengals hasn't said much about it and Marvin isn't going to rock the boat as long as he's here.  The bottom line is that it is a FACT that Marvin Lewis was the first one to make public that he wasn't going to coach here until some specific demands (indoor practice facility, for one) were met.  We know for a fact that he totally caved in on that and once that happened Carson made his desire to exit known.

Football is all emotion to us, but it's business to all 3 of the men in this situation.  I get it.  Anyways, it's been 6 years and life went on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Carson Palmer 1 SB Win from HoF? - McC - 06-12-2017, 01:28 PM
RE: Carson Palmer 1 SB Win from HoF? - J24 - 06-12-2017, 02:23 PM
RE: Carson Palmer 1 SB Win from HoF? - McC - 06-12-2017, 07:22 PM
RE: Carson Palmer 1 SB Win from HoF? - Nately120 - 06-14-2017, 06:35 PM