Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House Majority Whip shot at congressional baseball field
(06-17-2017, 12:43 AM)Dill Wrote: What YOU ask for is beside the point, especially if you cannot seem to follow the argument. Mike's question went to the center of my argument, which you have still missed.

Didn't miss, didn't care. 

Quote:Unlike you, I do have patience. To repeat-- placing political behavior in an analytic framework that allows for systematic comparison, and recognition and elimination of double standards, does allow one to get a more secure grasp of the social causes of political extremism and so some chance of realistically addressing them.

But only GOP extremism amirite?

Quote:I am not looking for garden variety dirty politics and then claiming only one party does them. I am not interested in a blame game.

You say as you blame only one party.

Quote:I am examining the social/historical roots of the current extremism. What dirty tricks fueled that? Stuffing a ballot box or taking bribes or even breaking into the other side's headquarters are not the sort of thing that would count here, since they break the law but don't reset the level of civility in public debate.  Atwater's Willie Horton add would, as would Trump's tweet of pictures comparing his wife to Ted Cruz's.

So, to be clear, using physical violence, a la anti-Trump protests during the GE campaign, violent attacks by left wing activists like ANTIFA and the shooting that prompted this thread not as bad as Willie Horton add or calling a man's wife ugly.  Outstanding argument! :andy:

Quote:You claim there is "parallel activity" by the Democrats. Did Hillary call some group "deplorables"?

Uh, yes.  She didn't say they cling to their religion or guns though.  That level of condescension was reserved for someone else.

Quote:To repeat my repeat, I am not trying to establish that both parties engage in "dirty behavior." I am saying there are specific kinds of dirty behavior which have broken previously established political decorum and elevated anger and divisiveness to a level not seen since the 60s.  It's not my fault if Democrats have not done what Atwater, Gingrich, Rove and a gaggle of Fox News commentators along with Trump have done.  It is not my fault if the Republican Party and its president have mainstreamed rhetoric, goals and tactics once associated primarily with right-wing fringe groups. 

Let's say I give you this, poorly argued, point.  The left has taken the physical violence route and thus far surpassed political rudeness.  Quick learners eh?

Quote:You keep talking about rancor and one-sidedness--
Is there a reason why, even in your second response now, you have only offered me chocolates rather than counter examples?

You must not be paying attention.  I will still send you the chocolates though.  This is only the second time I've offered though, not the third.  Do please try and keep up.

Messages In This Thread
RE: House Majority Whip shot at congressional baseball field - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-17-2017, 12:58 AM