Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith liking it at Guard
(06-25-2017, 12:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I actually think that he will do very well at Guard.  He speaks about things being faster paced at Guard, and he's right.  For example, in pass pro, he'll be initiating the action, rather than reacting to what the End or LB is going to do, when he played at Tackle.

I think that it will be a big advantage for Smith to get his hands on a defender, before they have a chance to cause him to move off balance.
Great analysis.

Similar to what you said with having to react to the move of the end or backer at tackle, being inside also means that there will be less room for them to make a move (i.e. spin, swim, tougher to bullrush, etc.) and will be easier for him to use his size and strength, as opposed to having to move more like he would have to at tackle.
(06-25-2017, 02:00 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am more worried about Andre Smith's health than his ability.
Fair, but being a guard also means that he has to move a lot less, which is very beneficial for his health.  

Let's also hope that he's matured and is taking better care of his body.  

Being injured most of last season may have done his body well in giving it time to rest and giving him time to (hopefully) be in great condition.
(06-25-2017, 07:01 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Andre Smith signed a 1 year, $3,250,000 contract with the Bengals

I dont get this.

They are obviously taking a risk on the guy, who is 30, coming off injury, but has performed well in the past.  High draft pick, etc.

So like, the O line is a huge weakness of the team - very obvious.

So, lets just say Smith becomes a really really good Guard, which I think is possible -   Why isnt there an mutual or team option on the deal for a second year, something like 5-6 million for the option year.

It seems so short sided not to at least hedge that this flier may be a success, then you'd have him back for next year at a bargain.  Otherwise, opt out and void the option.
He probably wouldn't do it because he thinks that he could have a big year that will allow him to demand a big contract next year in free agency, but teams aren't going to spend a lot of money on a guy with injury history that had one good year out of position.  

Like I've said before, I'm feeling a lot better about our offensive line.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Andre Smith liking it at Guard - Stewy - 06-25-2017, 05:13 PM
RE: Andre Smith liking it at Guard - CJD - 06-25-2017, 09:03 PM
RE: Andre Smith liking it at Guard - BFritz21 - 06-26-2017, 01:25 AM
RE: Andre Smith liking it at Guard - 3wt - 06-26-2017, 02:07 PM