Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White terrorist kills muslims with car
(06-27-2017, 12:39 PM)Dill Wrote: You have to select which facts to put out there though, right?

Also, I am not just talking about an editor with an axe to grind. I noticed that during the Vietnam War, journalists often were overwhelmed with "data" and so had to make choices about what to report. Many lacked area knowledge about Indochina, and this affected what they selected to report. They could not tell what, in hindsight, was relevant. They often confused the actions of very different groups. Some gradually realized the problem when they were on the spot in Vietnam, though editors back home did not.

The problem has continued into the present wars.

Similar to some of the problems covering the ME. I'm local and don't do any of that kind of coverage, but I thought I was fairly well informed on what was going on over there... until a friend of mine in the military made a napkin flow chart over coffee one night explaining just who everybody was.

But that's not embedding opinions consciously or otherwise. You try to put as much factual information out there as you can. You can't fit everything into every story and stories get less and less in depth as reader and viewer attention spans shrink. But the trend (both financially motivated and readership pattern motivated) has been to chop the same information up. If you're doing a story on a bank robbery what would have been one story 30 years ago is probably going to be 3 or 4 now as you pull out the robbery, the suspect, the police response.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: White terrorist kills muslims with car - Benton - 06-27-2017, 01:18 PM