Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting article on Bengals on NFL.com
(06-29-2017, 02:18 PM)jowczarski Wrote: We'll be hitting on the no-huddle in the next couple weeks in our 50 most influential series, but yes, Bruce Coslet had a hand in it in Cincinnati. The idea for Wyche came in San Francisco, but Joe Montana told me they never incorporated any of it because Sam was just a QB coach and well, you know, Bill Walsh. So Sam started to incorporate it, but he said he needed Boomer and it really took off in practices when they couldn't do anything against LeBeau's newly formed zone blitz. We'll have more on this, from the guys who ran this thing, in the next two weeks.

From what I understand, the idea came to Sam after witnessing Renaldo Neamhia (SP?) come back from a post or go route gassed and saying he needed a second to catch his wind.  Wyche thought to himself that if a world class track athlete was gassed, imagine what the defenders would feel like if they couldn't substitute.  He then implemented his strategy at IU....and brought it to Cincy, where he and Coslet (another Walsh disciple) implemented it in their version of the Ohio River Offense.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/sam-wyche-remains-entertaining-and-opinionated-110413

Quote:“It makes me remember the old days when it wasn’t very popular. I really first tried it out at Indiana. We were not a real strong team and had to come up with some new ideas, and that was one of them. When we got to the NFL we ran into strong opposition from officials. Every week they had a different ruling and different interpretation. At the league meetings, I had a very good coach and a coach I admire very much say, ‘This is popcorn football and not in the spirit of the game. We should outlaw it.’”

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interesting article on Bengals on NFL.com - Wyche'sWarrior - 06-29-2017, 02:53 PM