Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN: Will Mixon or Ross Be Tougher On Defenses?

The video at the top of the page just mostly discusses Mixon's "off-field issues," which it was just one issue, not plural (unless you call a verbal altercation with a parking lot attendant an "issue" :roll eyes:) , and doesn't discuss his play much because, well, the "controversy" gets them more clicks. The end of the video does discuss how he can be versatile, run between the tackles, catch the ball out of the backfield, and be a home-run hitter.

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals drafted two home-run hitters in running back Joe Mixon and receiver John Ross. ESPN's AFC North reporters weighed in on which one will cause defenses more problems as rookies.

People always call me out for saying "home-run hitter," but they say it in the video and in print on the page...... I should be an ESPN analyst Hilarious

Quote:Jeremy Fowler, ESPN's Pittsburgh Steelers reporter: Let's go with Mixon, who has a chance to be the best running back from this draft over the next few years. Jeremy Hill hasn't been a decisive or aggressive runner the past two years, and with Gio Bernard battling injuries, Mixon will be the feature back soon enough. His combination of size (6-foot-1, 226) and speed (4.4 40) is well-suited for the AFC North. His game reminds me a bit of Le'Veon Bell. Ross is the home run hitter the Bengals need opposite A.J. Green,but he has battled injuries in recent years, and his size (5-foot-11, 188) isn't ideal for an outside receiver. Not that he can't be successful early in his career, but Mixon has a clearer path to a big rookie season.

I love that a Steelers reporter is saying how his game reminds him of Le'Veon Bell's because, while he isn't necessarily comparing them or saying he'll be as good as Bell, reminding him of Bell's play is a good sign. You can't deny that his play does remind you of Bell's in that he can run between the tackles, be physical and/or elusive runner, catch it out of the backfield, and take one to the house at any moment.

The Ross talk does get me excited because he points out that Ross is also a big play threat, and good luck trying to load the box and still find enough defenders to keep deep to stop AJ and Ross.

Quote:Pat McManamon, ESPN's Cleveland Browns reporter: Rookie receivers don't often make large impacts, but the Bengals have an exception to that general statement. A.J. Green was outstanding as a rookie (1,057 yards and seven touchdowns with a rookie quarterback), and he has been outstanding since. For that reason, Ross will benefit. As long as Green plays and is healthy, he will command double coverage and defensive emphasis. That opens up the field for other players, which should help Ross overcome the rookie challenges. He might not put up Green-like numbers, but if his talent is real he'll present more of a challenge to defenses than Mixon, who figures to share time and carries with Jeremy Hill.

I don't think he'll share much time with Hill, besides for MAYBE goal line carries (if Hill is even still on the team), but I do like his point about Ross and it's what I was saying above about not having enough safeties to load the box and double AJ and Ross.

I do fear Marvin's conservativeness in that aspect and feel like he'll let a lot of opportunities go and instruct Zampese to be conservstive/try to run the clock out when we should be going for the throat.

Quote:Jamison Hensley, ESPN's Baltimore Ravens reporter: I'm going with John Ross, even though history says it takes wide receivers longer to adjust to the NFL than running backs. The reasoning is the fastest player in this year's draft will be getting single coverage. All of the defensive attention will remain on wide receiver A.J. Green. The second priority of the pass defense is to stop tight end Tyler Eifert. This is going to free up Ross, who was tied for first among Power 5 receivers with 17 touchdown catches in 2016 and ended the season with 81 catches for 1,150 yards. Look at the production of the Bengals' No. 2 receivers behind Green: Brandon LaFell (64 catches for 862 yards in 2016) and Marvin Jones (65 receptions for 816 yards in 2015). That's the type of impact Ross should make.

That just is another idea that AJ will be drawing the safety over and leaving Ross single-covered, but also throws in that Eifert will do damage. I wonder if we'll use Eifert properly, though, and actually utilize him more as a receiving option more and down the field more. Uzomah and Kroft should also be considered as dangerous.

I personally think that it will be Mixon and that he'll take the league by storm (assuming Marvin doesn't stay loyal to Hill, but given how ineffective Hill has been, I have faith in Marvin) because it's been a long time that we've had a back like him that can do so much and take any play to the house. As always, the line play does worry me and that could damage Mixon's play, but I think they'll at least be decent, and all of our other weapons should keep defenses in check.

Anybody else excited about this article?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
ESPN: Will Mixon or Ross Be Tougher On Defenses? - BFritz21 - 07-01-2017, 06:12 PM