Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump breaks tradition, doesn't recognize LGBT Pride Month
(07-03-2017, 11:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I have no problem with holidays and such, but really all these months are pretty ridiculous.

I have no problem with gay marriage. They get to be wift someone they love, it doesn't effect me in any way, so more power to them. That said, I dislike the apparent overwhelming need to rub it in people's faces. I don't march down the street chanting how much I love putting my penis in a vagina and how I think being straight is pretty great, why can't the courtesy be mutual?

(07-03-2017, 11:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yep, exactly! Most are too busy working and paying taxes to meddle in most people's business. We care about keeping the lights on and putting food on the table for those around us. I don't care who's poking who? Just don't make it my agenda that I have to care about this shit. If your gay? Be gay! Nobody gives a damn!

(07-04-2017, 12:59 AM)Benton Wrote: Eh I think part of the issue is, legally, homosexual relations are still illegal in many states. While you may not give a dam, it can still be punishable under law by years in jail or thousands in fines.

While what Benton said is a part of it, looking at the situation as a whole is important. The number of proclaimed months and days coming out of our federal government is sizeable, sure, but this is something done for minority groups in this country to recognize the contributions they make and that they are pat of the community. This happens because there is a history throughout all of humanity, not just our country, to treat minority groups poorly. When you have a group that has a history of being marginalized it is important to let them know that we do not intend to do that any longer.

Now, can you all imagine the uproar had Trump not made the proclamation for Older Americans Month, or Small Business Week? The AARP and the Chamber of Commerce would have raised Cain. I just have to ask that those dismissing the months for racial or sexual minorities do some internal reflection and think about whether your reaction would have been the exact same were it to come to those. You don't have to respond to defend yourself or anything, I'm not going to get into a flame war about it, but for the vast majority of people the answer would be no if they were being completely honest with themselves.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump breaks tradition, doesn't recognize LGBT Pride Month - Belsnickel - 07-04-2017, 07:59 AM