Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Peko still on the team?
(08-07-2015, 09:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Peko was 7th in the league in tackles among DT/NTs.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=DEFENSIVE_LINEMAN&season=2014&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=1&qualified=true&Submit=Go

How is that not a fact?

Another fact is that DTs that get blocked don't make tackles.  Shedding blockers and getting to the ball carrier is a very important skill for DTs, and Peko is still among the best in the league at this.

Total tackles is not the only way to grade DTs, but it also can not be ignored.  DTs that constantly get blown up and blocked off the ball don't make tackles.

Okay, let's put it this way. NOTE: ***these aren't actual figures (for the first part), I'm just using these as an example to prove a point, so don't flip out about the exact figures because I'm making them up for my example***

NT1: 800 snaps. 50 tackles. When he isn't making one of his 50 tackles during the year, he's usually getting blown up badly and pushed heavily off the LOS, leading to the offense having more success.

NT2: 800 snaps. 40 tackles. When he isn't making one of his 40 tackles during the year, he's still in position and winning his matchup a reasonable percentage of the time. He rarely gets blown off the line and while he isn't leading the league in tackles, he's not getting beaten enough to directly correlate to the offense making big plays.

Which NT do you want on your team? NT1 is similar to how Peko has played over the last 1-2 years. I'm not saying he's always been a mediocre or worse NT, I'll admit that he used to be pretty good. Over the past 2 years, he's been below average and I don't understand why you debate that so much.

Fred, you love facts, so here are 2 facts that you may enjoy. Here are some real numbers from last year....

1. In 2014, the Bengals defensive line ranked 27th in the league in letting opposing ball carriers get to the 2nd level.

2. In 2014, the Bengals defensive line ranked 26th in YPC up the middle.

Are those the signs of having a good NT?? Ironically enough, it seems that most of the teams ranked highly in those categories have very good NTs. If you think total tackles tell part of the story, I'd hope that you're willing to admit that those figures tell part of it as well.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why is Peko still on the team? - Utts - 08-07-2015, 03:06 AM
RE: Why is Peko still on the team? - Au165 - 08-07-2015, 08:57 AM
RE: Why is Peko still on the team? - djs7685 - 08-07-2015, 09:20 AM
RE: Why is Peko still on the team? - jason - 08-06-2015, 11:42 PM
RE: Why is Peko still on the team? - J24 - 08-07-2015, 12:39 AM
RE: Why is Peko still on the team? - Crowe - 08-07-2015, 09:25 AM
RE: Why is Peko still on the team? - jj22 - 08-07-2015, 09:25 AM