Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ICE crackdown forcing some families to self deport
(07-11-2017, 01:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We also need an Australian style point system to weed out the immigrants who do not help our country.

(07-11-2017, 01:52 PM)michaelsean Wrote: How is help our country defined?  As long as someone is not a drain, I'm good.  If you come here legally and get a job that's all I ask.  

The intent is good, I just don't know how well the practical application goes for the U.S. Ultimately, I think it's an issue that corrects itself for those legally going through the steps.

Lucie may be a little better versed in what Australia does, but I think what he's referring to is Australia's system that ranks individuals based on government criteria. There's more info at the link below, but ultimately what they want is young, skilled workers who already have a job offer. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/01/what-is-australia-points-based-immigration-system-brexit

I've got two issues with it. One, our country is more diverse than Australia. The need in Kentucky for migrant workers is largely agricultural; visa labor in a state with more tech-based jobs is going to be very different. There's not a good one-size fits all approach that doesn't make it difficult on other states.

The other issue that ultimately the points system can be used as a way to prohibit any immigration. If one party decides it doesn't like X population because they typically vote for the other side, then they can gerrymander the points. Looking for cheap labor? Water down the points system and flood the country with hungry people.

I think the system in place will work if we actually fund it and enforce laws. The market can decide what workers stay based on what skills they have. Immigrating from England with a philosophy degree? Good luck with that, I'll wave as your plane to London takes off in 6 months. Coming here from Guatemala with 10 years experience operating a bull dozer? I've got a half dozen Chamber of Commerce members that will pay your moving expenses. And they don't care what language you speak, as long as you can push dirt the right direction.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: ICE crackdown forcing some families to self deport - Benton - 07-11-2017, 03:56 PM