Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ICE crackdown forcing some families to self deport
(07-11-2017, 05:54 PM)Benton Wrote: My great grandfather came here from Germany after WW I. He had nothing of value (like a lot of Germans following the war), no skills and spoke only German, moving to a rural part of Illinois in a country not too found of Germans at the time. He worked hard, saved money, bought an empty building and turned it into a grocery store. He had a son and daughter, the son joined the Navy, served for four years and opened his own business. His daughter (my mom) was the first in the family to go to college. Etc., etc. 

I guess that's why I get a little frustrated with issues like the travel ban or 'build the wall.' I don't see a Middle Eastern fleeing from violence in his country with no marketable skills and not proficient in English as any different than Germans and others who fled here after WW I & II. Same with those coming from South America where there may not be fighting, but there's high poverty.

Don't be frustrated. The world was a much different place in 1918.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ICE crackdown forcing some families to self deport - Vlad - 07-11-2017, 11:20 PM