Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australian woman in Minnesota calls cops then is fatally shot by one of the officers
(07-18-2017, 09:54 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I wrote that before I noticed that they hadn't even exited the car.  I wouldn't expect them to have them on in the car.

According to the Minneapolis BWC (Body Worn Camera) policy, even if they didn't turn them on cause they were in the car they still have a problem of not following procedure. 

Quote: 1.    Activation Required

a. When safe to do so, officers shall manually activate the BWC during the following situation 

·       Traffic stops. 
·       Suspicious Person stops. 
·       Suspicious Vehicle stops. 
·       Any vehicular response requiring emergency driving as defined by MPD P/P 7-402, or emergency response as defined by MPD P/P 7-403. 
·       Vehicle pursuits. 
·       Work-related transports not involving a ride-along or another City employee in their official capacity as a City employee. 
·       Any search, including but not limited to searches of vehicles, persons, and buildings.
·       Any contact involving criminal activity.

·       Any contact involving physical or verbal confrontations.
·       Any contact that is, or becomes adversarial. 
·       When advising a person of their Miranda rights. 
·       When ordered to by a supervisor. 
·       Prior to any use of force. If a BWC is not activated prior to a use of force, it shall be activated as soon as it is safe to do so. 
·       Any tactical entry or forced entry into a building, unless a supervisor has determined in advance that the video or audio data could result in the disclosure of operational or tactical information that would compromise the effectiveness of future actions or jeopardize officer safety. 

b. Activation shall occur as soon as possible, but before any citizen contact. 

i. If a situation changes to require activation, the officer shall immediately activate the BWC as soon as it is safe to do so. 

c. All strip searches shall be recorded by at least one person present during the entirety of the strip search, including all pre-search instructions provided to the person being searched. 

i. The camera shall be positioned to ensure that only audio data is collected and that the person being searched is not captured on video. 

d. If there is a failure to activate the BWC in any of the above situations, the Officer shall document the reasons for the failure in the Officer’s report or supplement. 

i. If a report is not prepared, the reasons for the failure to activate shall be documented via added remarks in Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD). 

They were called about a possible sexual assault, arrived on scene without ever getting out of their car, saw a defenseless woman and somehow thought that she was enough of a danger that the officer in the passenger seat should shoot and kill her, and in order to do this he had to grab his gun out of his holster while still seated and then point the gun across the vehicle and fire across his partner to stop her. I don't get this at all. Even though the officer didn't turn on his camera before discharging his weapon, the policy clearly states that after an officer uses force they are required to turn on their cameras immediately after the fact. These officers didn't turn on their cameras at any point according to reports. I mean this just does not look good at all. Australian news paper sums it up pretty well.

[Image: American_Nightmare.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Australian woman in Minnesota calls cops then is fatally shot by - Matt_Crimson - 07-18-2017, 04:36 PM