Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australian woman in Minnesota calls cops then is fatally shot by one of the officers
(07-19-2017, 11:43 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: The articles I'm seeing claim that it is only getting attention because the victim was white.

Right?  Because you never hear about it when a non-white person is killed by the police.  (Note I am not accusing you of this, just pointing out the absurdity of the argument being made by those you referenced)

Quote:It sounds like this guy had some flawed judgment. Of course the fact that the overwhelming majority of the time, cops make the right judgment is lost in the news and never really reported. Which is interesting since our society is built upon the fact that they do right and wise thing almost all the time. That's why it is shocking when something like this happens. 

This is why the whole outrage over police shootings has always rankled for me.  They are exceedingly rare.  Even the insanely biased Guardian had under 1,200 people killed, notice I didn't say shot, by the police in the past two years.  Their methodology in this regard was so absurd they "counted" people killed in traffic accidents involving LEO's, people who died in custody from natural causes and people killed by off duty LEO's, such as a wife killed in a domestic abuse situation.  "Counting" those types of deaths is clearly done to inflate an already small number to justify their sense of moral outrage.  In addition, I could care less how many people are killed by LEO's in the line of duty, I care about the number of people that are killed that shouldn't have been.  This would be a tiny fraction of an already minuscule number.  But, outrage everyone!

Quote:I get that there are incidents where bad things have happened between law enforcement and minorities and that there are probably some racist cops out there (a reflection of society in general). But I also think that cops do make the best decisions overwhelmingly more often than these incidents occur. I'm also not convinced that there is any systemic racism in any of the various police forces. Rather, I think it is just a bad apple or two here and there. 

When your on the job experience with "X" ethnicity consists almost entirely of gang members, drug addicts, thieves, out of control kids, equally out of control mothers, i.e. the worst examples of "X" one could hope to find, some people will comment on, or start to view that group, as a monolith.  It's a very easy trap to fall into.  Even so, the vast majority of LEO's do not.

Quote:When I'm in trouble or see something bad happen, I'll stick to calling the cops to sort it out.

Logically so, as the odds say you're going to survive 99.999% of the time.  You have worse odds taking a shower or driving to work.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Australian woman in Minnesota calls cops then is fatally shot by one of the officers - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-19-2017, 12:01 PM