Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travel ban in effect; Supreme Court to decide
(07-19-2017, 03:18 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Hasn't the ban expired? When does this become moot?

The problem is that they wanted the travel ban in place so that they could assess the programs and the procedures. Then the ban was halted and they never ended up doing the assessment. As the case dragged on, Trump did tell cabinet officials to go ahead and proceed with the assessment (I tried to find a link to a story about this meeting, but I can't find one with my half-assed Google search).

So, the ban would have been played out had it been enacted originally, but since it was intended to place a halt to things while they evaluated things they didn't start the clock on things until it was able to be implemented. But, they decided to start the evaluation while the ban had been stopped, which raises the question of why it was needed in the first place. Especially since with current policies in place there have been no incidents.

It's all a big mess, really.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Travel ban in effect; Supreme Court to decide - Belsnickel - 07-19-2017, 04:03 PM