Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So... can Trump pardon himself?
(07-21-2017, 02:38 PM)hollodero Wrote: ...or Sessions, right? A new Attorney General would not be recused, hence could also fire Mueller. Or am I getting this wrong.
If I don't, it would be a viable explanation for Trump's recent attacks on him.

That would be iffy. The law on this states:
Quote:(d) The Special Counsel may be disciplined or removed from office only by the personal action of the Attorney General. The Attorney General may remove a Special Counsel for misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity, conflict of interest, or for other good cause, including violation of Departmental policies. The Attorney General shall inform the Special Counsel in writing of the specific reason for his or her removal.
Now, earlier in part 600, the code specifies acting AG in the case of AG recusal. With the recusal of Sessions, it made Rosenstein the acting AG for the Russia investigations. I am not enough of a legal eagle to tell you whether the appointment of a new a AG would automatically remove Rosenstein as acting AG for the Russia investigations, so that would be the big conundrum. 
If any of this occurred in an attempt to end the investigation and there was not an impeachment vote brought for obstruction in Congress, I would be shocked. I would like to think that even our current batch of elected officials have enough integrity to not look past that. But then again, I know the Chair of the House Judiciary and he is a spineless weasel, so yeah.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: So... can Trump pardon himself? - Dill - 07-21-2017, 05:40 AM
RE: So... can Trump pardon himself? - Vlad - 07-21-2017, 09:40 AM
RE: So... can Trump pardon himself? - Dill - 07-21-2017, 02:40 PM
RE: So... can Trump pardon himself? - Dill - 07-21-2017, 02:00 PM
RE: So... can Trump pardon himself? - Vlad - 07-21-2017, 10:11 AM
RE: So... can Trump pardon himself? - Dill - 07-21-2017, 02:23 PM
RE: So... can Trump pardon himself? - Vlad - 07-21-2017, 09:13 AM
RE: So... can Trump pardon himself? - Dill - 07-21-2017, 02:08 PM
RE: So... can Trump pardon himself? - Dill - 07-21-2017, 03:02 PM
RE: So... can Trump pardon himself? - Belsnickel - 07-21-2017, 04:26 PM