Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Rubio: Life begins at conception
(08-08-2015, 08:16 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Personally I think that abortion is wrong after the fetus has a beating heart (~8 weeks). I think that people shouldn't have the right to take the life of their unborn child. That to me should be a crime, because like it or not at that point in time that fetus is alive. You are murdering it, and that's the 100% truth. To me killing that fetus is the equivalent of killing a person in a coma who is hooked up to life support and is going to recover in a few months, because the hospital/family finds it a burden.

But you have someone who is being denied their liberty by something (someone) against their wishes, and the government is stripping the person of their liberty by not permitting it to be ended. If they have not had an abortion then they have not committed a crime (in the theoretical world where abortion is a crime) so the government is stripping someone of their liberties that has not committed a crime.

If you escape a kidnapper and they are killed in the struggle, should you be tried for murder?

(08-08-2015, 09:55 AM)PhilHos Wrote: So you're in favor of banning abortion. Good.  ThumbsUp

Nope. I think in the case of an abortion, if you believe the fetus/embryo has rights/is a person, then if an abortion happens, rights are violated. If an abortion is illegal, rights are being violated. Therefore, the decision should not be in the hands of the government because the government should never be in the position to put one person's unalienable rights above another person's.

(08-08-2015, 10:58 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: No. The government should be given the power of stopping someone from stripping someone else of their liberty even though they have committed no crime.

See above. So we should be able to strip someone of their liberty though they have committed no crime? If they have not had an abortion int he world where abortions are illegal, then no crime is committed, yet their liberty is being stripped by the government as a result because they are now being forced to have something literally living off of them that they did not give permission for.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rubio: Life begins at conception - Belsnickel - 08-08-2015, 11:05 AM