Poll: Are you embarrassed for voting for or supporting Trump?
This poll is closed.
Yes
27.27%
3 27.27%
No
54.55%
6 54.55%
Not quite yet
0%
0 0%
Embarrassed about what?
18.18%
2 18.18%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Serious Question for Trump voters/supporters. Are you embarrassed by anything yet?
(08-01-2017, 07:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, I'm not an expert in the industry, and I won't even remotely claim to be.  But, from a citizen's point of view, customers not being able to purchase health coverage over State lines seems to be a big issue in restriction of free market solution.  Since the Federal Government feels compelled to be involved, why not do something to help the matter?  Why not make every company that wishes to provide health coverage in the US, be Federally Licensed to do so, in the entire US?

I'm not an expert in health care policy or the industry, either, I am just a student of public policy working towards becoming an analyst. So I approach it from that perspective. What you suggest is good, and actually what a lot of people would like to see if insurance become something that can not only be purchased across state lines, but also be much more portable between jobs because of the increased emergence of the gig economy. But, there are serious issues to consider for the idea of selling insurance across state lines. There is a concern that it would create what policy wonks call a "race to the bottom" where the competition among states to attract business would cause a reduction in available coverage from insurance as requirements for minimum coverage would be stripped. Also, regional variations would make it very difficult for an interstate insurance marketplace to exist effectively in the free market.

There is a lot more to it all, and this is just a surface level thing based upon some of my reading on the issues, but this is the reason why it can be complicated to come up with a solution. There are some good thoughts out there on what can be done, but in today's political climate they just aren't feasible.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Serious Question for Trump voters/supporters. Are you embarrassed by anything yet? - Belsnickel - 08-01-2017, 08:06 PM