Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Trump bans transgender people from serving in U.S. military 'in any capacity'
(08-11-2017, 03:03 PM)Benton Wrote: I think there's something to be said for looking at the issue if the rate is 40% among military transgenders. Although I've never seen that number before.

That said, military suicide rates are about double civilian suicide rates, so that's an issue that needs looked at, too.

But in regard to transgender suicide rates, it begs a question on if it would be so high if there was more acceptance. We spend a lot of time and money and resources on less than 1% of the population. Less than half a percent by most estimates.All trying to figure out what to do with a group that's just wanting to do their own thing with a negligible negative impact by any measurement. And those resources and time could go a long way to fixing long-standing problems like horrible infrastructure, government waste, healthcare, etc.

Personally, I've known a few transgendered people in my life. In doing some family tree work a year or so ago, I found out my mom's first cousin is transgendered. He got out of the military and went to work as a college professor. If that's not stereotypical enough, she is also living in California. She said she tried to make a go in the Midwest, but in the 80s nobody wanted a transgendered veteran with a degree in accounting.

My wife also worked with one. She was a receptionist in the ER my wife ran. Great employee. She told my wife about her transgenderism right before she left. She said she and her husband moved about every two years because that seemed about when someone found out. And, sure enough, it had been about 18 months after they moved to the area that someone found out and a few started harassing them.

40% suicide rate for transgenders whether they transition or not. Why do we want or need anyone with statistically suicidal thoughts in the military where lives are at stake.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump bans transgender people from serving in U.S. military 'in any capacity' - StLucieBengal - 08-11-2017, 04:04 PM