Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Hill AND Bernard both in danger?
(08-13-2017, 09:53 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We agree on no such thing.

Jeremy Hill has a base salary of 8.8K this year, costs us 1.1mil against the cap and has 2.6K in dead money. For team cap hit he ranks 27th. He is a valuable, durable back; we are not cutting him. Now if a contender loses a RB, then we may trade him as he would be valuable in a trade and I fully expect him to walk at the end of the year.

Now Gio’s cap hit is 3.6mil and he has proven to be less than durable. He seems like a possible cut until you look at his dead money of 3.2mil. The only way we cut him is to reach an injury settlement. He is not as valuable as Hill in a trade scenario.

Joe, Jeremy, and Gio will be on the team and we will wear defenses out.

Agreed. I actually clicked on this thread to post about their salary differential. You would think Gio's higher salary would make him a cut candidate...in 2018.

According to Spotrac, the Bengals can dump Gio next year with only a $1.5 million cap hit. Next year, Gio's salary also nearly doubles from $1.6 m to 3.1 m, and his cap hit jumps up 0.5 m as well. So depending on how this year plays out, Gio could be a prime candidate to be cut in 2018. 

As for Hill, regardless of how you feel about him as a RB, there's no denying that he provides good value at his current salary. He also makes for an excellent insurance policy...considering his starting experience and durability. I doubt he's going anywhere.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are Hill AND Bernard both in danger? - Shake n Blake - 08-13-2017, 10:53 AM