Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alt-right rallies in Charlottesville, VA
(08-14-2017, 02:33 AM)Passepartout Wrote: Really the President needed to come down beyond hard on Nazis and racists. More than that of North Korea. As it is happening in our backyard there.

I completely agree with you, with the codicil that you come down equally hard on Antifa and other violent left wing groups at the same time.

(08-14-2017, 07:42 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: At this point it is too late. Because he didn't come down hard on them initially, they see it as his approval of their actions. Even with the statement released later, he didn't do it himself. At this point if he does it, they will see it as a forced hand. There is nothing he can do in words to reverse the damage he has done by not condemning it outright. They are bolstered by his words and policy decisions in the White House that have taken them off of the radar of federal law enforcement.

You're right it is too late to come down hard on people who would use physical violence against those they disagree with politically.  It should have started with "I need some muscle over here" Glick.  With Yvette Falarca, who was caught on video assaulting someone she disagrees with and wasn't arrested for months.  With Eric Clanton who hit people in the head with a bike lock for the crime of not sharing his political beliefs.  At the Trump rallies where attendees were physically attacked for the crime of choosing a different political candidate.  It should have started with the riots at Berkely that occurred because a gay right wing troll had the temerity to speak at a hosted event.  When a lone gunman tried to kill numerous GOP congresspeople it was, as you say, "much too late". I suppose the violence at Evergreen college could be considered much, much, much too late.

Some of you will, predictably and sadly, equate this comment with support for the person who ran his car into a group of people, taking the life of one of them.  That is, unfortunately, the state of discourse in this country.  However, the latest, and of course rawest, example of political violence in this country should not blind us to what proceeded it.  I hope all of you will join me and, as I once asked as the topic of one of my rare threads, condemn violence against anyone for speaking their beliefs, no matter how repugnant you find them.  Yes, lets crack down on violent mobs of all sorts and lets stop pretending this problem is special or unique to one side of the spectrum or another.  if you fail to do so, all of us, then you perpetuate what you claim to despise.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alt-right rallies in Charlottesville, VA - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Just a reminder - StLucieBengal - 08-14-2017, 07:08 PM
RE: Just a reminder - Nately120 - 08-14-2017, 09:26 PM
RE: Just a reminder - BmorePat87 - 08-14-2017, 09:28 PM
RE: Just a reminder - Benton - 08-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Weimar America - THE Bigzoman - 08-19-2017, 08:40 PM