Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally some life showing in Dennard.
(08-17-2017, 04:47 PM)mikey6866 Wrote:
I didnt realize you considered 1st round busts as non pro bowl players. 
We have a completely different gage of what would label a guy as a bust.  Whats your opinion of Zeitler?  By your definition of 1st round bust he would fit the bill since he developed into a solid starter and is now the highest paid g in the league.  He did get playing time quicker than Kirkpatrick where there was less competition and he was healthier, but he has never made a pro bowl.  He is a solid, not elite player.  There are only a handful of stars in the 1st round of every draft with the exception of a few great draft classes.  Labeling one of the better corners in the league a bust because he was drafted in the 1st round seems a little crazy to me.  He didnt become a full time starter until year 4 (number of factors went into that..you can debate that all day but it will never change the fact that once he got his opportunity he has taken advantage and developed into a solid player.)   Dennard is now coming into his 4th year.  I will wait to pass judgement on him until he sees some more time on the field.

I didn't realize I ever said anywhere that they had to be Pro Bowlers, or they're a bust.

What I DID say was that 1st round picks can't take 5 years to develop into a "solid starter" and not be considered a bust.

Would you trade a 1st round pick in 2012 for a 1st round pick in 2016? Because that's essentially what they did with Kirkpatrick taking 5 years to turn into a solid starter. Nobody wants that with their first round pick. You want stars, or barring that, immediate impact starters. Even 2nd year impact starters are acceptable depending on the position. Anything less than that is a miss.

Just like the Jags consider Reggie Nelson a bust. He turned out to be a great player for the Bengals and the Raiders, but the Jags used a 1st round pick on him and got a bad return from it. Bust =/= bad career. It just means the guy was not worth his pick.

- - - - - - - -

Dennard is heading into his fourth year, he played over 30% of the defensive snaps last year. If that's not enough time to pass judgement on if he was a good 1st round pick or not, then that alone is proof enough that it was a bad 1st round pick. Good 1st round picks don't take 4 years to MAYBE be able to judge if it was a good pick or not.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Finally some life showing in Dennard. - TheLeonardLeap - 08-17-2017, 05:40 PM