Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Myth of Having to Go Into a Season With Cap Space
(08-18-2017, 02:38 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I'm not sure why you're implying I'm angry or depressed about a sports team not winning. I'm simply stating facts. If that bothers you, I'm not sure what to tell you. But do me a favor and not assume something I'm not.
But it's extremely valid if you really take into consideration what happened then. And what's happened (or not happened) since then. I'll give you the respect to form your own conclusions and that's your provocative.

This wasn't meant to assess your state of mind, or mood, for that matter.  You railed against the "Bengals Brass" as you called them, questioning if we should "give them a pass" for "drafting shitty players", and I tried to emphasize that it wasn't just the management and that the players and coaches should also share the blame.  

One guy, Jeff Blake, pulled out a minor version of a Kurt Warner in the mid-90s and made the team fun to watch and had, for a brief moment, a very explosive offense.  Sure, it didn't last, but they gave him the opportunity to lead the team over a former first overall pick.  That took guts.

It was a "dark era" for that decade overall with that brief glimmer of light in Blake, but I laid out on another post the bad luck of their draft picks and how, before the rookie wage scale, they were crippled by those contracts.

Your last line, I think, was meant to state "that's your prerogative".  And you are absolutely correct.  I wasn't trying to change your mind or influence people on this board, but just trying to provide a little perspective of what happened to those teams before the rookie wage scale.  

The bottom line is they haven't won a playoff game since 1990, and no matter how close they were in 2015 with a backup QB, or the fact that they even made the playoffs with a rookie QB that no one thought would win a game, will change that mindset of so many fans.  It is constantly thrown in their faces.  I just prefer to look forward with optimism and enjoy what I believe is a very bright future.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Myth of Having to Go Into a Season With Cap Space - SHRacerX - 08-19-2017, 09:27 AM