Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Myth of Having to Go Into a Season With Cap Space
(08-18-2017, 08:28 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @ochocincos
Personnel moves/decisions can be debated in every city. But the fact is you can’t sign everyone. They’ve retained / extended the best players they’ve had since what, 2011? (And Whit is not really a good example of someone they didn’t want to retain. Dude spent a decade here with multiple extensions.)  If you knock them for not keeping a second or third receiver, then do they get extra credit for locking up Atkins and Dunlap, a HOF-track DT and a Pro Bowl pass rusher? There is a cap and 53 guys – and Jones and Sanu got over $72.5 million. I mean, you’re going to pay three wide receivers a total of $145 million over the length of their deals? It’s just not feasible. And the Bengals did match Detroit’s offer – Marvin just chose to leave to be a No. 1. That was his right.

I can’t argue with being more flexible in free agency or changing that thinking. As for the most-drafted players on a roster thing – but the Patriots and Packers and Steelers consistently rank in the top third of the league, along with the Bengals, in number of homegrown players on rosters. There are many ways to roster build, but the way the math works is you need starters playing four years on a rookie contract to help pay for stars elsewhere.

I’ll agree on scouting. And think about it – the staff has cycled. They’ve had three offensive coordinators and defensive coordinators since 2013. New position coaches came in in 2014 on defense with Matt Burke and Vance Joseph, and entire positional grouping on defense changed before 2016. I think you’re pointing more to the head coach?

Thanks for the response, Jim.

My issue with the extensions of certain players vs having others walk is guys like Peko and Maualuga in the past for IMO (much) more than they were worth all for the sake of familiarity and comfortability. Same for bringing back Andre Smith, who was coming off injury, past his prime, and playing a position he hasn't attempted to play since high school IIRC? And bringing back guys like Pat Sims and Brandon Thompson. We know what they are...role players. Many of us fans feel that the team rarely, if ever, really tries to go get that one big impactful player to really ascend to the next level (e.g. Peyton Manning to Denver). But yes, I do credit the Bengals for locking up players like AJ Green, Dalton, Dunlap, Atkins, etc. Just think they could have done better.

I get the Packers and Steelers process of homegrown players. However, it seems like the Steelers and Packers have hit on more of their draft picks compared to the Bengals, and that's led them to their overall better success. And they are also willing to let certain players go but they seem to have a nice up-and-comer ready to take his spot immediately after, which helps them. And both organizations also seem to start their younger players sooner than the Bengals do, which gets more use out of their rookie contracts.

In regards to staff cycling, I wasn't actually pointing more to Marvin. I was kind of meaning some of the longtime position coaches who have/had been here for years. Paul Alexander is the first that comes to mind. I also think about Jim Anderson, who many wanted gone at least a couple years before he actually retired in 2013. Jay Hayes would likely still be here if he didn't choose to go to TB. While Kevin Coyle was nice, if he hadn't left to Miami the Bengals wouldn't have had Vance Joseph, who I would argue improved the secondary from good to great. Obviously I know that Joseph would have left for a HC or DC position anyway, but I think it's pretty obvious that the Bengals should probably consider letting go of some of their position coaches more often if things get worse or stay stagnant. Most seem to only leave when they choose to do so.

The Bengals organization appears to put a great value on familiarity and while that's helped them avoid being one of the worst teams in the league again, I feel it's also held them back from taking that next step. Sometimes if you wanna get to the top, you have to be willing to take that next step and not be afraid of falling down.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Myth of Having to Go Into a Season With Cap Space - ochocincos - 08-19-2017, 07:31 PM