Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Myth of Having to Go Into a Season With Cap Space
(08-18-2017, 08:28 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @bambino5130 - Take Zeitler for example, they could have locked him up, when the Steelers chose to sign DeCastro for a similar deal at about 5 years and 10 million per

@jowczarski- They could not have. I knew that situation very, very well – Zeitler was going to be the highest paid guard in football. The Bengals don’t believe guard is a $10M per year position. Frankly, neither do I. Trust me when I say Zeitler didn’t feel disrespected. He gambled on himself and it paid off.

Again, Whitworth doesn’t count IMO. At some point you gotta cut the cord and the Rams had to pay him that. He was paid handsomely over many years with many extensions. Reggie Nelson? Old and same kinda deal as Whit. You had Shawn William sitting there. Marvin Jones’ deal was matched, to the dollar, but he [i]chose
to go to Detroit. He also gambled on himself. Would you have paid Marvin $40 million after missing all of 2014 with a foot injury? No one would have. Didn't hear a peep from anyone saying they should extend him in my first camp in '15. And he wasn't feeling disrespected, either. Hindsight is always 20-20.[/i]

You don't think a guard is worth 10 million a year, I get that. Yet they turn around & give that money to Dre Kirkpatrick? You think he is worth that money with 2 other 1st round corners sitting on the bench? I also get not resigning Whit, even if you thinks two year deal at say 12 million is too much. So the plan of letting the #2 LT & say #6 G in the league walk out the door & you bring back in Andre Smith, ignore the Oline in the draft, & hope for the best? This game is won & lost on that line, & in the offseason the Bengals went from one of the best lines in football to one of the worst which could have been avoided if the FO was a little more proactive in 2016.

So here we are again 18.6 million left on the cap & neither Burfict nor Eiffert is resigned. When you year after year let your top Free Agents leave, remind me of the message that's sends to players & fans?

Also, they could have resigned Reggie Nelson for pennies on the dollar. Yes hindsight is 20/20, yet Old Reggie is still balling in Oakland, & Williams just got carted off the field.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Myth of Having to Go Into a Season With Cap Space - bambino5130 - 08-20-2017, 09:35 AM