Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protesters topple Confederate statue in NC
(08-20-2017, 07:48 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I found this a good read, about the Confederate monuments and why there are no Nazi statues in Germany.

The author brought up a point of how the statues were in part to re-write the history of the slavery and treason, and replace it with a romanticized version of their 'heros' and honor instead. Which is interesting because I have read, even in the p&r section, how the winners re-write history. But in this case he is suggesting the losers were re-writing history. They certainly lost the war, but they won the post-war for almost 100 years by making sure blacks would never be equals to whites. And it was in the post-war that they won they were writing down their own version of history,

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/20/why-there-are-no-nazi-statues-in-germany-215510

It's very true. Also, it's not almost 100 years, it's well over that. Still ongoing in some ways.

Sometimes I think that we romanticize our history so much, here, because we don't have a ton of it. We have 410 years on this continent as a European settlement, less than 250 as our own country, compared to much more than that when you look at Europe.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Protesters topple Confederate statue in NC - Belsnickel - 08-20-2017, 07:51 PM