Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN Removes Announcer Because of Name
(08-23-2017, 04:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Right, so if ESPN went to one of their white anchors and said do you feel uncomfortable about doing play-by-play in [predominantly black neighborhood], that would be perfectly reasonable. Got it.

It's a slap in the face because it assumes Virginians are so stupid and prone to violence that an Asain guy with the name Robert Lee is going to spark some kind of violent reaction.

I'm not worried, upset, angry or offended by this. I'm expressing my opinion that it's royally stupid of ESPN to do this and that I'd understand if a Virginian was offended.

Not similar at all actually, it would be more like them asking an announcer named Muhammad if he wanted to call a game in New York City a couple weeks after 9/11.

So again, they are offended that someone was worried they would be offended. This means they are easily offended, so the assumption they could be offended was correct, but not necessarily correct in what would offend them the most. As I said, people are too easily offended it seems.

You'd understand that someone would be offended, but don't like that someone is trying to prevent someone from being offended?

Again, it's really not anyone's business. They asked the guy if he wanted out and he did.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ESPN Removes Announcer Because of Name - Au165 - 08-23-2017, 05:00 PM