Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expiration date on our core players
Something else, every player has a 'best if used by' date, but with the youth movement also comes risk of them either getting injured or just not panning out as expected. Every player regardless of how good they are will reach the point when they just don't have it to keep up with the younger players and so every team, champions or cellar dwellers have to keep bringing in young players. It's just part of the game. Not every season is going to have the greatest drafts. Some will be great, but on average most won't so they have to go with undrafted, trades, free agency and so on. 
I don't necessarily expect the big stars of today to be big stars of tomorrow.  Every player is one torn tendon or one fractured bone away from the end of their careers. The really really lucky ones get to play their entire career relatively injury free, but those are far and few between. 
Can they reload successfully year after year?  That's anyones guess, but they will always have to reload. Some years they can keep most of them and some years they have to wholesale them out and replace with youth, but that's a never ending cycle as long as people pay money to watch young men beat themselves up for a fist full of dollars.  
I think if this current crop of newly minted players can stay healthy they have a pretty good shot of this team being tough to beat. 
Marvin ain't gonna be around forever so the question is who replaces him when he's gone?  I'm not big on the idea of change just for the sake of change unless the replacement can do a better job. He ain't the greatest HC ever, but he's far from the worse.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Expiration date on our core players - McC - 08-22-2017, 02:17 PM
RE: Expiration date on our core players - grampahol - 08-24-2017, 01:18 AM