Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Opinions Of Willis and Smith
Two seasons ago the Bengals D gave up the 2nd fewest points in the entire league. That's pretty darn good regardless of sacks. I'd take the trade off 100 out of 100 times, fewer points allowed over fewer sacks. A team can lead the league in sacks and still give up a lot of points on the score board. 
Some people seem totally transfixed on sack numbers as if it's exactly the same thing as points allowed. It isn't. Sure, they help and do add up, but they're not the totality of the defensive strategy. The bottom line really is how many points go on the score board. If these guys can get to the QB and keep the scoring low then great, but if they only get to the QB, but give up a lot of points in the process it's not going to do much for the bottom line. 
Suppose a player gets 16 sacks in one season that sounds great and in that one respect it is,  but last season they played 1038 defensive snaps. Do the math. Sacks aren't as important as giving up fewer points. That's less than 1.6% of the defensive game. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Your Opinions Of Willis and Smith - kevin - 08-24-2017, 07:09 PM
RE: Your Opinions Of Willis and Smith - grampahol - 08-25-2017, 05:48 AM