Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Opinions Of Willis and Smith
(08-25-2017, 02:23 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm not arguing about keeping anyone. I'm just flat out saying you have to stop the run before you rush the passer that's basic football. 

If you want high amount of sacks you have to put a clamp on the run game to force 3rd and longs and score points to force teams to throw more to catchup....it's the same thing with INTs.

Yes, that helps, but teams aren't just running on every first and second down. They pass quite often. So only putting an emphasis on pass rush on third and long seems like it's not enough IMO.

Also, here's some evidence for why I think the Bengals can (and should) afford to let MJ and Clarke go in favor of a pass rusher like Chris Smith.
Bengals were 21st in rushing yardage and YPG last year, which is not very good. That's with MJ, Peko, and Clarke. All of those players were given passes in the pass rush department because they are supposed to be good run defenders. Well it might just be that all three of those players who used to be solid run defenders have declined in that area, and that combined with their sad pass rush ability resulted in them all being rated in the 40's in PFF ratings.

So what I'm trying to say is that MJ's and Clarke's "solid" run defense might actually not be what it's cracked up to be anymore. And even if Chris Smith does happen to be a worse run defender than both, his pass rush upside might be an overall net gain compared to what MJ and Clarke can offer.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Your Opinions Of Willis and Smith - kevin - 08-24-2017, 07:09 PM
RE: Your Opinions Of Willis and Smith - ochocincos - 08-25-2017, 03:04 PM