Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neoliberalism: the idea that swallowed the world
(08-25-2017, 11:13 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Well slow down a bit here.

I just said it was laughable to link the two. Never said it was problematic, whatever that means.

Austrian Economics never gained a foothold in mainstream economics.  Aside from that, Hayek would probably question whether or not international trade scene was actually competitive, and not just a firms from developed nations taking a disproportionate share of market power.

"Problematic" in this case would mean that Metcalf's assertions about von Hayek's influence on contemporary neoliberalism are not born out by the record--by von Hayek's work, by the logic and practice of neoliberalism, by the people who acted upon what they thought were his economic ideas.

If you assert it is "laughable" to link von Hayek and neoliberalism, it appears you think such linkage is unwarranted--i.e., problematic.  The linkage could not be both laughable and Not problematic.

Von Hayek did not have to gain a foothold in mainstream economics if world leaders like Reagan and Thatcher, and their economists, thought von Hayek the man with the answers. 

I raised my question because it seems to me that Metcalf makes a pretty good case for von Hayek's influence and the congruence of his theories with those of neoliberal policies. Is there some point where Metcalf seems especially off in his analysis?  Just curious because I think neoliberalism well worth understanding/discussion.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neoliberalism: the idea that swallowed the world - Dill - 08-26-2017, 08:56 PM