Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Opinions Of Willis and Smith
(08-25-2017, 09:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why do you think that was the case?  It wasn't because of the defense, gave up less than 20 pts/game.  The problem was the offense didn't score nearly enough.  I blame the OC and Marvin Lewis for not calling games aggressively enough.

And I get the sense that Lewis has also squelched Guenther's approach to coordinating his defense.  Last night I was watching the Cleveland game.   The announcer mentioned William's penchant for never taking the foot off the gas as a DC and never going into a prevent defense.

My mouth watered.   I can't remember the time that the prevent defense ever panned out well for us.  I also don't like the "contain the offense and stiffen in the red zone" defense.  I mean there is a wisdom to it ultimately, and I understand not giving up the big play.  But that approach encourages the offense, discourages the defense and gives the edge of time of possession to the other team.  

Cleveland's defense played well last night.  They fly to the ball, gang tackle and tackle well.  I'd like to see  more of that.

We'll never know how much of Guenther's philosophy is his or Lewis'.  But I get the sense that Lewis keeps Guenther pretty contained.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Your Opinions Of Willis and Smith - kevin - 08-24-2017, 07:09 PM
RE: Your Opinions Of Willis and Smith - 3wt - 08-27-2017, 03:36 PM