Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Venice mayor: anyone who screams Allahu Akbar will be shot
(08-29-2017, 10:07 AM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: To be clear, the point was not to equate the two but to make the point that taking away instances of free speech does not itself act as a significant or complete prohibition of free speech in itself, as that seem to be your argument towards the mayor.

Again. I'm not denying what he said is an infringement on free speech, but how significant or effective is it in its attempt to cast limitations on someone's right to speak freely or worship? I would say not very.

Basically what I'm saying he's not taking away anyone's ability to speak freely or to worship for that matter. He is putting a limitation on it, but the limitatin is not a broad infingement on free speech or wor ship that takes away ones ability to do either.

I just feel it's a bit overblown to say he's taking away free speech and worship. What he said does not effect those who don't do exactly what he said they would need to be doing to be shot. Had he said they would shoot anyone practicing Islam then I'd say that's a pretty broad brush to paint with.

But as noted already he said you had to be running, shouting alluha ackbar and be at St Mark's Sqaure and in addition to that "be within three paces"  for security personal to shoot you. I don't know how many Muslims run into St Mark's Sqaure shouting God is great but I highly doubt it's a common enough occurence for the mayors command to be significantly inhibiting.

(08-29-2017, 10:34 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Defending  "religion of peace's" phrase that pays as free speech or worship is comical.  

It's the tag line that brings death, pain, and destruction.

If "religion of peace" members do not like that then maybe they should look at having a reformation to push he violence out.

Matt, you've made some valid points. Unfortunately, Lucie is showing why you can't allow a narrow restriction.

Out of nearly 2 billion people you've got less than half a percent — according to RAND Corp estimates — that are violent extremists. But you'll still get folks who say inflammatory things like "It's the tag line that brings death, pain, and destruction." That's the same line of thinking as "all Christians are bad because of Westboro Baptist" or "all white people are racist" or "all black men are criminals." Broad generalizations do nothing to resolve real issues. 

So you end up with a need to be able to have an open conversation and open practice of religion to dispel misguided beliefs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Venice mayor: anyone who screams Allahu Akbar will be shot - Benton - 08-29-2017, 11:11 AM