Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trump Reverses Restrictions on Military Hardware for Police
(08-29-2017, 05:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I have always felt conflicted on this topic.

Con: I don't like the idea of our police being equipped like a military group.
Pro: Some of that stuff would just be placed in storage or destroyed, so it's basically recycling.
Con: Like Benton said, it leads to them buying things they might not ever use.
Pro: If a large armed terrorist group attacks, or a country invades, our police will be able to hold on until support arrives.

I am probably more against it than for it.

Maybe it's my lack of understanding their function or watching too many movies, but I always thought that was the function of the National Guard. Which, in my inexperienced opinion, should be armed as well as the military. I know some view them as 'temp workers' for the military, but they're supposed ot fit more into that role of an armed militia. 

All in all, I'm not opposed to some of it. If there's helmets, vests, or whatever that can protect an officer, even if it's not something the guy is likely to ever use, then it's better to have it and not need it. On the other hand, there's not reason for some municipalities to spend taxpayer money on something a department is likely to never need/use. Surplus it at that point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump Reverses Restrictions on Military Hardware for Police - Benton - 08-30-2017, 11:42 AM