Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The consequences of jail over treatment
(08-31-2017, 06:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This is a good thread.  

We have a serious problem of rehabilitation for people with substance abuse.  And when they get into the legal system they are just chewed up and spit out.

They should have some sort of hard labor/rehab place where they can work on their issues while doing something constructive.
I kinda agree with you...I think hell just froze over. Nervous

Minus the hard labor part. Stay with me though, I'll explain below.
(09-01-2017, 01:09 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Hard labor/rehab place.

Because nothing goes with weaning someone off of narcotics like hard labor.

While it does pain me to be agreement with lucy (no offense lucy), hear me out.  I don't post as much as I used to, but I do still read the board almost everyday, and you and I are in agreement on most issues (at least I think so from reading your posts).

I think there is something that can be said for forced treatment.  Breech you have more medical knowledge than I, period.  However I do have some experience as an NA, clerk, security enforcer on an emergency psychiatric unit in a hospital in Indiana for eight years (I should clarify also that I don't work there anymore and haven't for about nine years or so).  One of the many types patients that we treated of course was substance abuse.  I've seen many court ordered into treatment for whatever reason mainly because jail  was the alternative.  I've seen some patients even come back to us and thank us for changing their lives.  I've also seen many repeat offenders over, and over, and over...etc.  I used to be a hardliner on the thought that if are not willing to check themselves into rehab, then their is little to no hope for them.  But I've seen it in person, that sometimes it can help.  However please don't misconstrue that I think we should be locking up everyone that is abusing substances.  Trust me when I say that I've abused some substances...lol.  And I know most of you have.  

But there is a real opiate epidemic out there, and I think all measures need to be on the table.  Well minus the hard labor part.  Because I don't think making people work as slaves is going to be helping them. But forced treatment? Maybe...I think it depends on the individual.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The consequences of jail over treatment - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 09-01-2017, 02:30 AM