Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dont' discount the value of learning a skilled trade.
I agree so much with this.

I'm sure I've told this story but...

I told both my kids that when it came time to a career choice a technical school was just as good (or better) than a four year degree.

Our daughter went to the tech in her HS and graduated with her cosmetology certificate and has been working in her field since before graduation.

Our son considered the same path but he's a little more "book smart" so he stuck with the high school but has already planned to go to our local Penn State campus for a two-year associates in his field.  He'll have to apprentice and move his way up, but he has a plan.

Heck, even our future son in law was going to go to a four year (with help from the National Guard) for electrical engineering but instead is working in construction (what his training is from the guard) and already looking to move on to another outfit once he has his CDL.

I have a degree.  I didn't/dont need it.  But I did have any kind of "skill" and needed to figure out what I was going to do.  College was good for me because I came from a small town where 98% of the people were white and Christian.  It was good to get out and meet and interact with different people.  I learned a lot in college...just not all  that much from my classes.

30 years ago college made sense and didn't strap you with so much debt you could never recover.  Now, get a skill, get a job.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dont' discount the value of learning a skilled trade. - GMDino - 09-01-2017, 09:37 AM