Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dont' discount the value of learning a skilled trade.
(09-01-2017, 10:00 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lol, any time Pat.  Wub Ninja

Nah, I just feel like almost anything good for you, too much of it is poisonous. You need water to survive, but if you drink too much, you can die. The same with Iron, or Vitamin D, or really much of anything. Our society has simply been overdosing on college.

College was good when it was actually about getting people advanced education for things that you generally just can't learn with OTJ Training, but now it's just become a massive expected requirement for things that have no business requiring it, and causing tons of people to fall into large amounts of debt.

(09-01-2017, 10:16 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: You seem to think that the only majors are library science (which is a lot more than putting books on a shelf) and teaching. 

According to the census, the plurality of Americans earn science related degrees (44%), followed by business (20%), education (14%). Of the remaining 22%, 13% are liberal arts, 4% are communications, and the remaining 5% is "other". 

The reality is that the issue doesn't lie with people who go to college and get degrees, it's with those who are pushed into college and never get a degree but keep the debt. Part of my job is finding alternative post secondary routes for my students. This includes jobs, job training programs, apprenticeships, internships, and community college programs that provide life skills training or certifications. 

While I agree that moderation in all things is a good policy there can never be too much education in my book.

As an aside our local school district teachers have been working without a contract for 480+ days.  The latest proposal from the school board included them paying more for their benefits and having their pay raise steps eliminated in exchange for a flat percentage across the board.  Regardless of education or training.

Oh, and based on the funds available each year.

Surprisingly the teachers did not like it.   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dont' discount the value of learning a skilled trade. - GMDino - 09-01-2017, 10:35 AM