Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The consequences of jail over treatment
(09-01-2017, 10:57 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm for letting people just do drugs if they want so long as they don't get violent, but making them live with the consequences. You get one OD rescue from 911, after that you're on your own. Choices. Consequences.

If you don't wake up from one near-death experience and seek help, then you need to be left to your own choices. All of a sudden then drugs become a scarier experience, people are dying, and maybe someone decides that doesn't sound like something they want to try after all.

Your version sounds all nice and flowery, but at some point you need to say enough is enough and stop coddling them and wasting everyone's time and money on them. Why work 40 hours a week, when it goes towards giving junkies free room, board, and job training?

In all seriousness? It's an ideological difference. I'm not going to say your viewpoints are bad, I just don't agree with them. The base idea behind social programs is that they benefit society as a whole, and so funding them and putting efforts towards them improves society and therefore improves your own life as well. This isn't the conservative take on things, it's the liberal one.

I'm also not going to say we shouldn't cut them off at some point, because the entire point of this is for them to stand on their own. This is why society needs both viewpoints. We need to have people like me who can take things to a certain point, and then people that you who are going to be more willing to say "we have to cut this off somewhere, and here is where we should draw the line." Determining where to draw that line is where the compromise occurs. You know, how government is supposed to work.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The consequences of jail over treatment - Belsnickel - 09-01-2017, 11:05 AM