Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dont' discount the value of learning a skilled trade.
(09-01-2017, 03:00 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The point I get from this thread and the meme i quoted is college degrees are stupid. And how many times have you heard people claim colleges degrees are just a piece of paper?

But, the reality is you went to school for the education and training necessary to enter a new career because it offered better pay and job opportunities. Pay and opportunities which wouldn't be available to you without the additional education. An Associate's or Bachelor's degree aren't just silly pieces of paper you need to get a job as some people try to portray. Rather they represent the entire process you had to complete in your field and it should help indicate your qualifications in a field to a potential employer. And so a land surveyor technologist makes more than your average construction worker and a civil engineer makes more than a land surveyor technologist. Not because of a piece of paper, but because of what they learn to get that piece of paper. Instead of blaming the people who pushed you to go to college where you chose to study communications, maybe you should have chosen to study civil engineering instead of communications.

Long story short; you are where you are career wise because of advanced education, not because of a lack of it.

So then you are saying that skilled trades are a form of advanced education.  I can agree with that.  Now how or why we needed to go over my own personal experiences to come to that conclusion, I'm not really clear on.  

But what the premise of the article is saying is that there has been too much focus on encouraging students to attain bachelor's degrees, when there is a large demand for people with specialized training that requires less than a bachelor's degree.  I affirmed that assertion, and that is where our conversation began.  Simply because I possess a bachelor's degree does not disqualify me from being capable of agreeing that there is a big need for skilled trades.  Hell, if radio paid any real money (outside of advertising sales or station management) I would have stuck with it.  It was a fun and satisfying job.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dont' discount the value of learning a skilled trade. - SunsetBengal - 09-01-2017, 04:37 PM