Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dont' discount the value of learning a skilled trade.
(09-01-2017, 04:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So then you are saying that skilled trades are a form of advanced education.  I can agree with that.  Now how or why we needed to go over my own personal experiences to come to that conclusion, I'm not really clear on.  

But what the premise of the article is saying is that there has been too much focus on encouraging students to attain bachelor's degrees, when there is a large demand for people with specialized training that requires less than a bachelor's degree.  I affirmed that assertion, and that is where our conversation began.  Simply because I possess a bachelor's degree does not disqualify me from being capable of agreeing that there is a big need for skilled trades.  Hell, if radio paid any real money (outside of advertising sales or station management) I would have stuck with it.  It was a fun and satisfying job.  

Yeah, it's additional education. I guess the part I have trouble with is the suggestion one path is better or worse than the other. One isn't necessarily better, just different. It really boils down to individual interests. Belittling a college education is just the other side of the coin to belittling vocational training.

With your personal experience I would think you would understand the pros and cons to each path. So how better to illustrate my point to you than by using your own experience?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dont' discount the value of learning a skilled trade. - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-01-2017, 06:25 PM