Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The consequences of jail over treatment
(09-01-2017, 06:16 PM)Benton Wrote: Kentucky has something similar, but less regulated as there's no funding for it. Many judges and staff donate their time to make drug courts work.

https://courts.ky.gov/courtprograms/drugcourt/Pages/default.aspx

But, given the limited resources (i.e., none), they have to be pretty selective. And the judges I've worked with have been pretty strict. One screw up and you're likely in jail for full sentence. Basically, in most cases, judges defer sentencing and help first or second time non-violent offenders get into rehab. The problem is most rehab centers are for profit, and many of those needing help don't have any insurance. So courts have to work to find centers that will help someone for free. On top of that, many of your centers have specific requirements, from types of addiction they treat to gender to ages. 

I've long advocated trying to use KY's drug courts as a model that — with a little funding — could substantially reduce prison populations and drug abusers. I'm sure other states have similar programs that are likewise effective.

I'd not heard of the drug courts. I knew about something in place for veterans that exist in places around the country to help vets that suffer from PTSD get help rather than end up behind bars for something they are suffering through. That program also relies on little to no government funding. These programs could be hugely beneficial, it'd be nice if we could convince the politicians to fund these things.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The consequences of jail over treatment - Belsnickel - 09-01-2017, 08:30 PM