Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
With Ivanka Trump’s Blessing, White House Ditches Equal Pay Rule
(09-02-2017, 07:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: Couple problems with that six minute ad for donations:

1) They cite studies but provide no evidence that that is what the studies said versus their interpretation.  For example:  I looked up the 2009 DOL wage gap study.  There is a 2015 version and guess what?  The wage gap is real and shrinking.  But real.  And that about 1/3 was due to different wages and occupations.

2) Prager "U" (lol) is listed a conservative alternative to "left" education.  So...slanted.

3) When I say "equal pay for equal work" that is what I mean.  I don't expect a woman who is waitress to make the same as a man who is a construction worker.  I expect a woman and a man doing the same job to get the same wage if they do the same work the same way.

But they don't. That's the thing.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080204212846.htm
Quote:Women take almost 50 percent more short term sick leave than men, finds research in Occupational and Environmental Medicine. But they don't take more long term sick leave, the findings show. Physical health problems, physical work demands, and work fatigue were more commonly reported by women. And they were 46% more likely than men to call in sick for short periods of a few days. Women may be better at recognizing problems and going to the doctor for treatment, suggest the researchers.

There have been a lot of other studies that show women are more likely to take sick days and flexibility of hours for women are generally regarded as more important than pay, while men are the opposite and generally focus more on pay than hour flexibility.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/atus.nr0.htm

Quote: --On the days they worked, employed men worked 56 minutes more than

employed women. This difference partly reflects women's greater
likelihood of working part time. However, even among full-time workers
(those usually working 35 hours or more per week), men worked longer
than women--8.4 hours, compared with 7.8 hours. (See table 4.)

Full-time worker vs full-time worker, men worked 36 minute longer days than women and women are 46% more likely to take a sick day. Even if you say a man and a woman are doing the same job with the same educational level, and have the same amount of job experience (which generally isn't the case because women more often end their working career earlier to start a family, while men continue on, thus leading to an experience disparity)... If you are going to give a raise to someone and you can choose the person working more and taking less time off, or the person working less and taking more time off, who are you going to choose? Exactly.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: With Ivanka Trump’s Blessing, White House Ditches Equal Pay Rule - TheLeonardLeap - 09-02-2017, 07:47 PM