Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
With Ivanka Trump’s Blessing, White House Ditches Equal Pay Rule
(09-02-2017, 07:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: But they don't. That's the thing.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080204212846.htm

There have been a lot of other studies that show women are more likely to take sick days and flexibility of hours for women are generally regarded as more important than pay, while men are the opposite and generally focus more on pay than hour flexibility.

Which, while true, doesn't refute his argument.

(09-02-2017, 07:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: https://www.bls.gov/news.release/atus.nr0.htm

Full-time worker vs full-time worker, men worked 36 minute longer days than women and women are 46% more likely to take a sick day. Even if you say a man and a woman are doing the same job with the same educational level, and have the same amount of job experience (which generally isn't the case because women more often end their working career earlier to start a family, while men continue on, thus leading to an experience disparity)... If you are going to give a raise to someone and you can choose the person working more and taking less time off, or the person working less and taking more time off, who are you going to choose? Exactly.

What troubles me about this is that it is incomplete data to make such an assessment. If women spend about a half-hour less per day working than men, okay, we have that measured. But what is their productivity? Are they completing the same work, more, less? How is their effectiveness and efficiency? If I have someone that spends an hour less working chained to their desk a day on average, but yet they produce the same number of widgets at the same level of quality (or higher in either case), guess who I give the raise to.

I honestly don't know what the answer here is, but I know that based on the data presented it does not provide adequate evidence to refute the existence of a wage gap between men and women for equal work.

Messages In This Thread
RE: With Ivanka Trump’s Blessing, White House Ditches Equal Pay Rule - Belsnickel - 09-02-2017, 09:50 PM