Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Practice Squad announced
(09-04-2017, 12:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I agree wholeheartedly with the statement in bold, 1. but his leash can't be long considering the missed game winners against Houston and the Colts, and 2. no 50 yarders for some time.  Let's say his first three attempts are 42, 51, and 53 yards for the win.  If he comes out of it 1/3 with only hitting the shorter kick, they will make the change, IMO.  3. I understand that Elliot's performance thus far in fake games and practice is dicey, but there is no reason not to try him out in real games if the guy who has bounced around the league isn't getting it done either.

4. Hopefully Bullock sets a record this year with no FGs, 100% success rate on 700 XPs, and 716 touchbacks, making this discussion all academic!

1. That's why I said "if Bullock keeps making kicks". I don't think he's earned any sort of long leash. He'll likely be replaced if he comes out on an extended cold streak. Like I said though...I think they'd be more likely to pick up a veteran than throw Elliott in there. Consider the word's from coach's mouth: "obviously Elliott would've been the choice if it were anything close" (referring to the competition). Read between the lines there. They desperately wanted the 5th round pick to win, but he stunk it up. They're not going to give him the job unless he gets better. That has nothing to do with Bullock.

2. Elliott fans have been using this as some sort of indictment of Bullock, but they neglect to mention that Bullock has only attempted 1 FG of that length since 2014 because he's bounced around a bit and has only played 16 games during that span. Saying "since 2014" sounds worse than "over his last 16 games" I guess. He definitely has the ability to hit them though. He hit a couple in preseason, he went 4-5 in 2014, and it's obvious he has a stronger leg than Nuge.

3. You use a missed preseason kick against Bullock, but seem to downplay Elliott's performance thus far by calling it fake games and practice. Fwiw, I don't think many kickers get better when the pressure increases. 

4. That'd be nice, but Bullock is going to miss some. All kickers do. I'm sure Elliott fans will be fair about it though.  Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals Practice Squad announced - Shake n Blake - 09-04-2017, 12:35 PM