Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reality of the NFL and 1st Round and Draft Picks
(09-07-2017, 12:08 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Opening week, only 50% of the 1st 10 draft picks from 2017 will play due to not being good enough yet or injury. The reality is all NFL players are subject to injury as it is a violent tough sport. The other reality is they have to beat out veterans who are older, wiser and stronger to crack a team's starting line up. I know we have fans that expect all 11 of our draft picks in 2017 to be studs, but the numbers simply say closer to 60% even make active (53 man) rosters in year number one across the NFL.

thoughts?

Agreed. The draft is kind of a crap shoot and we expect too much out of it. Also, I understand some worry with Ross' injury, but I think those who didn't like the pick are blowing it up into something it's not. It's a bit too soon to slap the "glass" label on the guy. Funny how MLJ missed as many games as Eifert over their first 3 seasons, yet you wouldn't guess that about MLJ with the way folks idolized the guy. Ross is getting the opposite treatment.

(09-07-2017, 12:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Wait, I thought free agency was risky so building through the draft was a more sure thing?

It's fair to bring this up. Relying on the draft to fix everything has it's risks. We've seen it first hand.

(09-07-2017, 01:10 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: I think you have to look at the facts, as it pertains with the Bengals. 

They dont do anything in FA, so the Draft is important. 

They have gotten zero from their 1st rounders recently in year 1

All comp picks have been basically awful

And aside from the first 4 rounds in this years draft,  Elliot, Dielman, Wilson, Schreck are all not on the team.  And in thier places we could have used a T or G

This is also fair and all facts. It's a bit early to start slamming this draft class, but our last 3-4 drafts have been pretty weak looking back. It just shows that they shouldn't have ignored free agency the way they have. They had a window and should've capitalized. That doesn't mean sign a 100 million dollar blockbuster free agent. It means they should've done better than AJ Hawk, James Harrison, BJGE, Michael Johnson, Andre Smith, Derrick Harvey, Denarius Moore, etc. 

Lets be honest, our FA forays have been a shit show. The Redskins historically (not every year) have spent the most. We spend the least. It'd be nice to see us move towards "average" as far as FA spending.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reality of the NFL and 1st Round and Draft Picks - Shake n Blake - 09-07-2017, 03:17 PM