Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict signs 3 year extension!
(09-08-2017, 06:22 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, all the guys ahead of him have had double digit sack seasons.
- - - - - - - - - -

I don't care for this deal because I can't believe any other team was going to offer him anything close to this.

-He's had an extensive concussion history (ended the '16 season missing the last two games due to concussion, missed a couple games in '14 with a concussion) and is one big concussion from missing a season.
-He's had microfracture knee surgery ('14-'15 offseason).
-The NFL is looking to suspend him for ANYTHING even if it's a BS suspension and is one questionable hit away from getting 8 games.
-He showed up in '16 and wasn't even in shape.
-He hurts himself in nearly every game he plays in.
-He's missed 22 games the last 3 years and is already going to miss at least 3 more this year.

There's no question that Burfict is an extremely talented player, but lets face it. He's a pretty shitty investment. I think when Burfict comes back from suspension and inevitably concusses himself again this season, missing 2-3 more games and finishes another season with ~10 games played, or makes an even moderately questionable hit and the NFL goes back to their witch hunt, the Bengals will look awfully foolish knowing that they could have gotten him for more like $8m/yr.

I think it's perfectly fair for any Bengals fan to have concerns about the concussions and some of the some of the borderline dirty/stupid stuff he does on the field at times, and the fact that he's racked up a lot of missed time due to injuries and suspensions. 

However, there's no denying that Tez is the leader of the D, and he plays with more fire and passion for the game than anyone else on the roster. He's an impact player with the ability to change games when he's in there. That's not something that's easy to find or replace. 

While I had concerns about giving him an extension, those concerns are offset by the fact that the Bengals did a helluva job with the new deal. Not only is it a low risk investment in case things don't work out, but also gives Tez greater incentive to play in as many games as possible. 

So, great job by Mike/Katie in crafting that deal, and making sure Tez will remain a Bengals through 2020.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Burfict signs 3 year extension! - McC - 09-07-2017, 09:18 PM
RE: Burfict signs 3 year extension! - McC - 09-07-2017, 09:34 PM
RE: Burfict signs 3 year extension! - Utts - 09-07-2017, 10:18 PM
RE: Burfict signs 3 year extension! - McC - 09-07-2017, 08:11 PM
RE: Burfict signs 3 year extension! - McC - 09-07-2017, 08:43 PM
RE: Burfict signs 3 year extension! - McC - 09-07-2017, 08:50 PM
RE: Burfict signs 3 year extension! - J24 - 09-07-2017, 08:40 PM
RE: Burfict signs 3 year extension! - McC - 09-07-2017, 09:43 PM
RE: Burfict signs 3 year extension! - CJD - 09-07-2017, 11:34 PM
RE: Burfict signs 3 year extension! - Bengalholic - 09-08-2017, 10:11 AM