Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EU Court: Countries must listen to EU
(09-07-2017, 03:00 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: On a very tangentially related note, I heard that one of the reasons for the Brexit was open access to outsiders to come in to England for better opportunities (which ironically was supposedly going to affect Polish immigrants' access the most, more than any asylum seekers). Is this so?

It sure is. That was quite a major topic, the inflow of EU citizens into GB without restrictions. Which of course also touches the refugee and muslim issue, but at least as much the "Polish" issue as Polish workers were said to be on the move to GB (if this is true, I do not know). Also quite a major topic was the amount of money GB has to pay to the EU as one of the rich countries.
All of course major talking points of the British portion of the right-wing populists, Nigel Farage, who immediately after Brexit admitted that he overblew things - and then completely jumped ship. You didn't ask, but sure this destructive force that is this movement played its part, like it does everywhere these days.

In the end, why Brexit happened I can't answer either. The British alsways had some kind of distanced relationship to Europe, and had some kind of attitude so to speak. I guess they never felt that heavy bond to the mainland; I think that aspect is not to be underestimated.

(09-07-2017, 03:00 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: And if yes, I would like to hear your views on Poland wanting the benefits to go their way without bearing any of the agreed upon "costs" that said benefits will bring.

Hm. It would be easy to give a simple answer, but in the end it's not that simple. To oversimplify it, the Polish (and other Eastern Europeans) are different people. And the EU somehow tries to assimilate the Eastern countries a bit too quickly. It probably takes time to go from communistic country to advocate of western values and principles. And the one thing you want to get rid of as a Pole is heteromony, and the EU is more on a "take away countries' souvereignty for the common goal" path.

There are two sides to that, and I would take the EU side, and also not because I'm a fan of the EU, but there's no viable alternative then for it to exist and evolve in something more efficient. Poland and other eastern countries are roadblocks right now, but I can also understand them in some ways. The EU being as flawed as it is doesn't help.

The rise of the ultra-conservatives (not so much Nigel Farage demagogue types, more real reactionaries) in Poland and other Eastern countries makes things very difficult right now. The polish government Trump praised so much wants to get rid of the Supreme Court, journalists are faced with repression etc, it all has the authoritarian touch, which the EU sees quite sceptical. And this government is on a very EU-sceptical course too. Poland will not leave and we won't kick them out for obvious reasons, but the climate is tense and agreements aren't easily reached. And one partner doesn't seem to be willing to reach agreements with a political adversary. So, as for your question. Under the current government Poland is a problem and won't be a helpful partner; the reason your question kind of gave away being a major part of that. Kaczinsky (I probably spelled that name wrong, and I show my disrespect by not caring) and Duda, those I am very critical of. As for Poland as a whole, in the end the people have to decide to change course - or keep their leaders in power. If it's the ladder for the foreseeable future, a consensual divorce might be an option.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: EU Court: Countries must listen to EU - hollodero - 09-08-2017, 05:52 PM