Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sure fire way to improve QB play this season
(08-12-2015, 02:14 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Throw him in the fire, because based on what we saw last year, they have absolutely nothing to lose. Except many games because Cleveland.

Ok, a few reasons I don't buy into this.  First off, cases like David Klingler and David Carr are prime examples of throwing someone in the deep end and him drowning before he learns how to swim.  Hoyer wasn't a mentor because he knew Manziel was gunning for his job, plus Hoyer thinks he's some sort of starting QB when he is every bit the plug-in crap vet that McCown is...except McCown knows it and is more of a team player SO Manziel MIGHT and I mean MIGHT learn something from sitting behind him.

Additionally, people in the Browns organization would probably lose their jobs if they tossed Manziel out there when they knew he wasn't ready and if/when he embarrassed himself and the organization said "Hey, he COULDA been good!"  Why is it that people think professional football teams should do that?  Do we ask people who manage sales teams why they don't can the guys who can reliably bring me a not-exceptional but so-so amount of capital and grab someone and skip training because he "might do better?"   Nope, we save that sort of "Come onnnnn, what have you got to lose?!" mentality for people who make millions and have jobs that only 31 other people on earth have.

Ugh, I'm not picking on you specially, but sometimes I feel like people look at a QB and see that he is 23 years old and has a bunch of 0's on his stat sheet and start seeing LSD-grade illusions.  And we're talking about the Browns here...a team that has continued to toss guys who can barely shave out onto the field in hopes one of them is magically good enough to overcome years of ineptitude and for some reason we see a lack of experience as some sort of sign that they have upside.

Upside and "no resume" are pretty interchangeable with some people.  Do people do this with regular jobs?  If I need to hire a systems analyst do I look at a guy who's been a so-so systems analyst for a decade and then look at someone who has no experience and say "Well, we KNOW what the guy with experience can do, but maybe if we hire the guy without any experience or degree and don't train him he will be like, super awesome!"  I just don't see this line of reasoning working anywhere but fans looking at the NFL.  Manziel looked every bit as lost as he should have last year, but maybe if they just toss him out on the field this year he will knock everyone's socks off.

And for the record, no, I'm no Josh McCown's cousin.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sure fire way to improve QB play this season - Nately120 - 08-12-2015, 02:40 AM