Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the Defense Really Good Versus the Texans?
(09-15-2017, 11:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I keep hearing that the defense played great vs the Texans because they only gave up 13 points. Atkins was fantastic.

This was a Texans team with a QB making their 1st start. Missing their starting Tackle to holdout. With 3 TE's injured starting a practice squad guy starting. And only 3 WR's with their #2 out.

They allowed Watson to run for a 49 yard TD with perhaps the least amount of effort to tackle a guy and shed blocks that I've ever seen our defense display.

They also allowed the Texans to go on a long drive at the end of the game eating the clock to kick a fg.

While the Texans didn't score 49 points, I saw plenty of missed tackles. I saw plenty of missed sacks.

Geno Atkins seemed to be the only guy that played great. Where was Dunlap?

Cosidering how Jacksonville had raised havoc, we did not  quite dominate. It WAS a low points game.  Our offense ....floundered enough that the D had to be on the field a lot. Geno....abused mediocre linemen but I wanted OTHERS to also dominate.  Often we ALMOST got a big play.
On watson's run.......Houston's blockers, mostly WR's  negated MANY Bengal defenders. Refs ain't picky THIS year about holding..it seems, but even so...we had guys in an open field, tied up or.. simply  unable to react well.  Had the Bengals scored a TD, the D would probably get praise but... in a game where offense was minimal, our d could not quite win it.

CLEARLY....the spotlight is now on the OFFENSE.   In 2 home games vs teams NOT outstanding.. ZERO touchdowns and 9 points.   THAT.... is something that makes some coaches look EXPENDABLE.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was the Defense Really Good Versus the Texans? - redwood - 09-15-2017, 11:35 AM