Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
The Bengals did it right at OT
(09-17-2017, 02:26 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: But that doesn't mean it's a coaching problem. Its about scouting. He sucks at that. But you also shouldn't have to ask your coaches to scout. But we have such a small scouting department. 

Oh I wasn't saying it meant coaching problem (although you and I definitely disagree on Paul as a coach). I was just trying to see if you think Paul has made mistakes with lobbying for these guys, and if you think our coaches should have maybe a little less influence on who we take. Right now it seems certain coaches (particularly the more tenured ones) have a lot of pull in the draft room. Pull they probably shouldn't have.

Now that's not me saying that coaches shouldn't have any say, that's just me saying that Paul A shouldn't be able to say "I want this guy" and we take that guy simply because Paul liked how his butt looked.

(09-17-2017, 02:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You hit the nail on the head. There were affordable options out there to upgrade. Even at G a guy like Leary would have been a great replacement for Zeitler.

People say those guys wouldn't come here...but the Bengals NEVER brought them in for a visit.

The Bengals wait until the dust settles during free agency then bring the leftovers in for a visit.

The Bengals (lets be honest...Mike Brown) simply don't like free agency. The popular excuse they've provided lately is that they love compensatory picks. While that may be true, this is a relatively recent narrative for a problem that's been around since the advent of free agency. Even when they've made a move for a mid-tier or slightly bigger signing (Odom, Coles and Antonio Bryant are really the only guys that fit that description), the Bengals only made those moves to replace a departed player that signed for more elsewhere than the incoming player. 

Odom was cheaper than what the 49ers paid Justin Smith
Coles was $1 million cheaper (per) than what the Seahawks paid Housh
Bryant was also cheaper than Housh.

In short, Mike Brown loathes free agency with every fiber of his being, and only uses it for a "break glass" emergency. Sometimes not even then. He does love bargains, so he's willing to throw small money at troubled players, aging players and former 1st round busts, but rarely will you see him going after quality players that demand fair market value prices. 

The compensatory picks are just icing on the cake and only further encourage him to do what he'd normally do anyway.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The Bengals did it right at OT - bfine32 - 09-17-2017, 11:23 AM
RE: The Bengals did it right at OT - CJD - 09-17-2017, 01:38 PM
RE: The Bengals did it right at OT - McC - 09-17-2017, 12:31 PM
RE: The Bengals did it right at OT - Shake n Blake - 09-17-2017, 03:11 PM
RE: The Bengals did it right at OT - McC - 09-17-2017, 02:01 PM
RE: The Bengals did it right at OT - McC - 09-17-2017, 03:54 PM
RE: The Bengals did it right at OT - McC - 09-17-2017, 04:00 PM
RE: The Bengals did it right at OT - McC - 09-17-2017, 04:26 PM
RE: The Bengals did it right at OT - McC - 09-19-2017, 12:21 PM
RE: The Bengals did it right at OT - McC - 09-19-2017, 12:37 PM